Purchasing Agent / Buyer
Company: The University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: January 15, 2020
The University of Iowa Purchasing Department is seeking an entry
level Purchasing Agent/Buyer position with basic procurement or
contract skills. This position will provide support to the
Purchasing Department by managing and monitoring purchase contracts
ensuring compliance with contract terms. The Purchasing Agent/Buyer
will issue competitive solicitations including Request for Quotes,
Request for Proposals and Requests for Qualifications as needed.
This position will ensure compliance with Federal and State Laws,
Regents and University policies and procedures and the University's
Strategic plan, plus departmental and divisional mission
statements. Duties to Include:
- Manage competitive bids, requisitions and purchase orders for
approved suppliers per assigned commodities.
- Analyze quotations received, select or recommend suppliers with
whom orders are to be placed.
- Negotiate improved pricing, terms and conditions.
- Help review new suppliers, as needed.
- Participate in cross-functional teams for category specific
projects delivering savings and efficiencies.
- Participate in procurement/supply chain improvement
initiatives, as assigned.
- Maintain positive supplier relationships.
- Evaluate supplier performance and supplier compliance with
established specifications and/or delivery and promote continuous
- Maintain a positive, productive relationship with project
- Follow department and University of Iowa policy and procedures.
For a full job description, please send an e-mail to the contact
listed below. About the Purchasing Team: The Purchasing team is
fast-paced and very attentive to detail. This team maintains
flexibility in order to be prepared for abrupt changes based on the
needs of the customer all while keeping costs and lead times down.
Education Requirements: A Bachelor's degree in Business
Administration or a related field, or the equivalent combination of
education and experience is required Required Qualifications:
- Minimum of 6 months experience in procurement processes is
- Demonstrated ability to seek out, cultivate and maintain
positive and productive business relationships internally and
externally. Is motivated and works well with others through their
optimistic attitude and constructive approach to solving problems
or dealing with conflict.
- Shows initiative and takes personal responsibility while taking
an overall proactive approach. Helps to resolve issues without
excessive guidance and appropriately engages necessary resources to
accomplish tasks. Presents an energetic demeanor while dealing with
multiple projects or tasks.
- Possess drive towards overall business needs by prioritizing
multiple competing tasks, and effectively managing time. Utilizes
available systems and resources effectively within the scope of the
work being performed.
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Must be proficient in computer software applications.
- Actively seeks and disseminates information both in person and
through use of technology. Demonstrates active listening and shares
ideas, opinions, and feedback in a diplomatic and constructive
manner. Raises issues and offers potential solutions that take into
account all functions.
- Good organizational and analytical/statistical skills are
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
Writing sample may be required before or during interview.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, such as Excel and Word,
are required. A work sample will be given to interviewees either
before or at the time of interview to assess Excel skills.
- Typically 1 to 3 years experience in procurement processes is
- Knowledge of automated purchasing system is desirable.
- Demonstrated skill in negotiating.
- Knowledge of the medical and higher education industry is a
- Experience with the purchase of animal related products, car
rental and travel services, dental related products, furniture,
hotel agreements and food products, services and equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate projects and
- Knowledge of University business policies and procedures are
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft/Oracle purchasing and contract
module is desirable. The University of Iowa is an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants
are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for
employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed,
color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation,
gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational
preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or
status as a protected veteran.
Keywords: The University of Iowa, Iowa City , Purchasing Agent / Buyer, Sales , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!