Business Intel Architect
Company: The University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: November 23, 2020
The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics department of
Finance and Accounting is seeking a Business Intelligence Architect
to lead development and implementation tools to support and
maintain the business analytics demands of the UI Health Care
system. Areas of major focus include enterprise-wide
scorecard/dashboard development, operational and productivity
performance analysis and operational and financial benchmarking.
Descriptive and predictive analytics will be used to support these
areas of focus. Collaborate with teams of clinical leaders,
administrators and data warehouse architects to develop, create,
and present business analysis related to optimal enterprise
This position is located in Iowa City, IA.
Business Requirements and Analysis
- Business Intelligence Architect lead gathering very complex
requirements for meeting access goals. These requirements include
identifying missing variables within EPIC Clarity to be activated
and report dashboard development. Collaborate with HCIS to analyze
data and develop metrics for department and provider behaviors to
improve access. Advise on developing and editing select business
- Lead enterprise level projects for UIP. Translate large and
highly complex sets of business requirements.
- Use knowledge and experience of EPIC Clarity and HCIS HEDI data
environments to give expert opinion on reviewing business
requirements and provide added value to make the final analysis
product more powerful.
- Enterprise-wide expert on patient access metrics and the data
to create these metrics.
Reporting and Visualization:
- Manage data integrity and quality strategy.
- Utilize advanced design features within Tableau such as
dashboard in tooltip techniques and action-based parameters which
cause new parts of a dashboard to appear for further detail and
- Provide additional feedback to the HCIS HEDI team regarding
data quality such as reports that trigger warnings when a threshold
of providers do not have an assigned Vizient specialty or when RVU
values for certain procedures change over time.
- Use complex SQL commands such as "Coalesce" and "INDEX" to
evaluate query results and load rows and columns more quickly.
Architecture (Back End)
- Architect, implement, maintain and support data tools,
platforms and solutions. Construct complex data pipelines to clean,
transform, aggregate, and publish data. Assess and recommend
enterprise data platforms and tools. Develop and implement external
database integration strategies.
- Act as SQL Mgt Studio expert within group. Provide initial SQL
programming templates and review SQL code from other analysts to
provide edits or improvements. Sole administrator of designated
data pipelines from EPIC Clarity or HCIS HEDI data warehouse
environments including SQL development as well as mapping and
transforming data elements and types. Once SQL programming is
validated, manage the process of delivering these table results to
Tableau Server via hyper extracts.
- Content expert, sending to HCIS suggestions and requests to
improve current data elements or add new elements to enhance
- Consultant to team on matters related to provider data flow,
scheduling data flow and order data.
- Strong knowledge of general ledger transaction flow as well as
ADT (Admit, Discharge and Transfer) data flows.
Statistical and Mathematical Modeling
- Develop complex benchmarking reports and facilitate access
- Use logic based on NPI, CARTS, Home Dept and MFK funding source
to determine how a provider is grouped for summary reporting
including providers that practice across different sub-divisions in
- Work directly with UIP leadership to review and prioritize
- Consult with other analysts on the team when a specific
department requests customized UIP enterprise wide dashboard
- Provide SQL coaching and consultation to analyst team. Propose
and discuss aspects of data governance related to accessing UIP
analyses via UIP providers as well as developing consensus on
metric definitions that apply not only to UIP but all of UIOWA
Health Care including UIHC.
- Subject matter expert as well as a participant to help develop
enterprise wide governing for proper access to data, dashboards and
analyses for UIP and UIOWA Health Care.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent amount of education and
- 5-7 years of experience using complex databases, SQL queries,
spreadsheet and data visualization/reporting tools for financial
and operational analysis
- Familiarity with predictive analytic techniques
- Demonstrated ability to turn raw data into actionable
information via analytic methods
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced SQL reporting skills with the ability to create SQL
views and write SQL queries is highly desirable
- Advanced knowledge of relational database query (SQL) skills
and large databases
- Advanced knowledge of reporting tools (Tableau, Microsoft Power
BI, Qlikview, Alteryx or other similar tools.)
- Previous hands-on experience building Metrics, Balanced Score
Cards, Key Performance Indicators, Data Analysis, with dashboard
data visualization techniques
- Ability to multi task and work in a fast paced
- Ability to find crucial data dimensions and data quality issues
in a complex data warehouse
- Ability to use creative thinking when working with
- Work experience with predictive analytic modeling tools such as
R, Python, DataRobot and Microsoft Azure ML
Application Process: In order to be considered, applicants must
upload resume and cover letter and mark them as a "Relevant File"
to the submission..
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may
be removed from posting and filled any time after the original
posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background
check. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at later
step in the recruitment process.
This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for
employment authorizatio n.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will
receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on
the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic
information, religion, associational preference, status as a
qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected
Keywords: The University of Iowa, Iowa City , Business Intel Architect, Professions , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!