Company: University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: July 13, 2019
The University Shared Services Accountant performs and coordinates
day-to-day accounting and finance activities in the University
Shared Services department. Position will also be responsible for
working with assigned departments to perform financial business
activities in an environment of excellent customer service. The
position will use accounting skills to perform financial support
functions for the departments, provide departments with accurate
and timely information to make decisions, and ensure efficient
- Develop and adhere to unit processes to ensure Procurement Card
purchases comply with University/Departmental policies and
procedures during reconciliation process.
- Maintain all procurement, travel and cash handling data
- Review and monitor key performance indicators as determined by
the department and customers served.
- Create travel reimbursements; review all travel requests to
ensure that expenditures and reimbursements are in accordance with
pertinent laws and regulations; process payments and reimbursements
- Initiate requisitions to procure goods and services at the
direction of others.
- Initiate eVouchers, eDeposits, reconcile procurement card
vouchers and create travel expense vouchers.
- Provide knowledge and expertise to University Shared Services
customers on the appropriate interpretation of policies and
- Ensure University master agreements are utilized.?
- Coordinate with central finance on the interpretation and
communication of finance policies, procedures, and programs.
- Work with the University Shared Services Manager to resolve
problems related to financial transactions.
- Process orders and expenses through financial systems and
determine appropriate account and funding for payment.
- May perform basic, limited and primarily routine analysis.
Prepare routine, standardized reports following pre-established
processes. Use basic to moderate knowledge of financial
- Determine and follow university travel, accounts payable,
purchasing, cash handling and bid procedures, contracts, and
federal regulations to ensure appropriate purchases are made.
Create catalog and inventory orders using university procurement
- Obtain and verify information regarding sourcing and
acquisition options at the request of others.
- Coordinate with University Shared Services management on the
interpretation and communication of finance policies, procedures,
- Review and recommend changes to department and USS procedures
to ensure compliance with policy; prepare and update procedural
manuals and related instructional materials.
- Serve as a resource to department staff and faculty to ensure
compliance with policy. Including the review of expenditures.
- Assist with the preparation of accounting reports and other
financial information for other units.
- Participate in department meetings and events to maintain
knowledge of the department and relationship with the faculty and
staff. Attend regular meetings, training sessions and professional
development workshops/seminars to keep current on policies and
procedures relevant to position responsibilities.
- Demonstrate respect for all members of the University community
in the course of performing ones duties and in response to
administrators, supervisors, coworkers and customers;
constructively brings forward workplace concerns to coworkers
- Represent the interests of the University and of unit
leadership in the use of resources to meet service and productivity
demands within unit goals and strive to promote continual process
and quality improvement.
- Seek opportunities to enhance ones own knowledge, skills and
abilities as they relate to ones current position and/or to prepare
for potential future roles and overall career development.The
University of Iowa
The University of Iowa is one of the nations premier public
research universities, with 11 colleges offering internationally
recognized programs in disciplines ranging from otolaryngology to
fiction writing, printmaking to space science, hydraulic
engineering to dance. Iowa draws nearly 33,000 students from more
than 100 countries and all 50 U.S. states, and employs about 29,500
faculty and staff.
The cover letter should address your specific interest in the
position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to
Applicants who fail to submit all the required materials will not
be eligible for an interview.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. This job
may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum
posting period has ended.
A Bachelors Degree in Accounting or a related field, or the
equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Minimum 6 months related accounting experience.
- Must be proficient?in computer software
applications/demonstrated competence with Microsoft Excel and
- Candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, including
experience providing excellent customer service.
- Good organizational and analytical /statistical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.Desirable
- Knowledge of Automated accounting or financial systems
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft Financials
- Familiarity with ePro, ProTrav, and APPO systems
- Knowledge of University policies and proceduresThe University
of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All
qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis
of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion,
associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a
disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Keywords: University of Iowa, Iowa City , Accountant, Other , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!