50% Support Services Specialist
Company: University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: June 14, 2019
Schedule: Monday Friday, 8:00am 5:00pm
Responsible for providing efficient and effective clinical
operational support through the delivery of oral health care
services within the College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics by
scheduling patient appointments and providing front line collegiate
support following the guidelines set forth by the College of
Dentistrys Clinic Administration department.
Provide Support Services to Clinical and Non-clinical Departments
- Responsible for scheduling patient appointments and visits
within the College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics, by interacting
with patients on the phone and in person, using the electronic
health record software Axium, This interaction can include
answering questions, giving information, and otherwise representing
the Colleges clinical operations.
- Evaluates and independently interprets data from the patient
management system (Axium), in order to schedule patients for
initial and subsequent visits.
- Monitors reports and data to determine patient appointment
needs and student experience needs. Contacts patients and appoints
- Maintains integrity of patient management system (i.e. accuracy
of patient treatment, billing, and appointment status) from
appointment books and patient records.
- Coordinates appointments between all clinics within the College
of Dentistry and Dental Clinics, to include but not limited to:
review and interpreting patient records, patient and appointment
management, providing schedules and billing details to patients,
practitioners, staff, and students on a daily basis to ensure
accuracy of patient care.
- Coordinates and facilitates provider schedules (manages master
schedules, creates daily templates for providers to include
faculty, residents, hygienist, and pre-doctoral students, and makes
daily clinic schedule modifications).
- Notifies Clinic Administrations frontline supervisors of
scheduling issues in a timely and effective
manner.Communicate/Collaborate with Internal and External
- Works collaboratively with other collegiate clinics, referring
outside dental offices, Community Health Centers and other outside
agencies such as Transportation Management Services (TMS).
- Attends clinic clerk and departmental staff meetings.
- Serves as an intermediary between patients, students, and
faculty regarding scheduling concerns and dental needs.
- Negotiates appointments with patients and other collegiate
- Assists students in meeting requirements for educational
- Serves as service excellence ambassador for other staff,
co-workers, patients, and visitors.Develop Programs, Policies,
Practices that Enhance Patient/Staff Environment
- Responsible for problem solving of scheduling conflicts,
including unplanned absences and patient urgent care needs.
- Reinforces scheduling policies to others as needed through
written and oral communications.
- Collaborates with peers and co-workers to enhance the delivery
of oral health care.
- Provides feedback to management to maintain goals and service
- Contributes ideas and seeks ways to improve current workflow
processes.Human Resources Management
- Conducts student orientations in educating students about
expectations regarding clinic workflow, policies, paperwork, and
patient responsibility in each specialty clinic.
- Assist in training new staff and students regarding specific
clinic protocol and procedures. This includes: proper telephone
etiquette, appointing protocol, patient record management,
financial guidelines and patient check-in processes.
- Obtains and/or confirms pre-authorizations prior to scheduling
- Post & review procedures for patient visit via the Electronic
- Gathers and/or verifies insurance coverage; reviews applicable
insurance coverage including DWP (Dental Wellness Plan) and
Medicaid of Iowa prior to each appointment and informs provider and
patient of changes in eligibility.
- Counsels patient of need to contact case worker in the event
Medicaid coverage expires.
- Updates the Patient Accounting System as needed in light of
insurance verification results; counsels provider on need to obtain
patient signature for non-covered out of tier treatment/non-covered
treatment PRIOR TO COMMENCEMENT OF CARE.
- Requires specialized knowledge of complex insurance payers and
- Bachelors degree or an equivalent combination of education and
relevant experience is required.
- 6 months 1 year relevant experience in a health care
environment, including the following skillsets:
- Experience scheduling for multiple providers in a healthcare
- Experience gathering and verifying insurance coverage
- Experience with electronic health records
- Experience working in Windows based networked database using
multiple data tools Customer Interaction Working Experience
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize practices, tools, and
techniques for communicating with a customer.
- Provides first line of customer support.
- Diagnoses circumstances and behaviors that generate customer
dissatisfaction. Customer Service Management Working Experience
- Knowledge of tools and techniques for maintaining an
environment where all understand, and are committed to, providing
excellent service to internal and external customers.
- Ensures identification of customer needs and priorities.
- Monitors and reports on delivery of what was promised.
- Ensures resolution of customer problems, issues, or
concerns.Effective Communication Working Experience
- Understanding of effective communication concepts, tools and
techniques; ability to effectively transmit, receive, and
accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the
application of appropriate communication behaviors.
- Looks for and considers non-verbal cues from individuals and
- Listens to feedback without defensiveness and uses it for own
- Delivers helpful feedback that focuses on behaviors without
offending the recipient.Decision Making and Critical Thinking Basic
- Understanding of the issues related to the decision-making
process; ability to analyze situations fully and accurately, and
reach productive decisions.
- Identifies issues and communicates with others when a decision
needs to be made.
- Identifies decision makers in own environment.
- Describes types of decisions for incumbent in own job or
- Experience with dental terminology.
- Some knowledge of University policies, procedures, and
- Experience in a public health setting
- Experience working with studentsApplication materials should
clearly indicate qualifications for the advertised position.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will
receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on
the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic
information, religion, associational preference, status as a
qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected
Keywords: University of Iowa, Iowa City , 50% Support Services Specialist, Other , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!