Revenue Cycle Coordinator
Company: University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: May 15, 2019
The Revenue Cycle Coordinator is a financial position in the
healthcare industry necessary for hospital and pharmacy billing
practices. This position requires strong computer skills, a high
level of attention to detail, strong organizational skills, a
general knowledge of hospital and prescription billing practices,
and excellent customer services skills. This position will work
closely with other staff within the hospital to support pharmacy
revenue processes(i.e. training and support to benefits
investigation, prior authorization and copay assistance staff),
serve as a resource for complex pharmacy billing activities, and
assist in the management of patient refill coordination. The
Revenue Cycle Coordinator will also coordinate with pharmacy
practice specialists, pharmacy management, and the UIHC Specialty
Quality Committee for quality assurance checks, productivity
audits, and quality improvement projects. This position in
conjunction with pharmacy management will also provide direction,
feedback, and coaching to staff members to help ensure excellent
patient outcomes and exemplary patients satisfaction are
Human Resources Management:
- Participate in regular coaching and evaluation of employee
- Provide feedback to technician supervisor regarding employee
- Provide direction to employees faced with new and/or complex
billing or benefits investigation issues. Patient Revenue
- Serve as resource in assisting staff with both routine and
complex benefits investigations and enrollment of patients into
pharmacy services (i.e. specialty pharmacy).
- Communicate with patients, pharmacists and/ or providers to
gather relevant demographic information.
- Initiate and follow through for required prior
- Assist clinical pharmacy specialists or other providers with
initiation of appeals when applicable.
- Assist with copay/coinsurance assistance when applicable.
- Communicate with patients, insurance companies,
credit/collections for payment acquisition, pre-authorization and
to resolve patient account inquiries.
- Appeal/troubleshoot claim payments and/or denials using
- Provide accurate documentation of all activities as required by
accrediting agencies, payers and/or administration.
- Monitor reimbursement activity for medications to ensure UI
Health Care receives full and accurate reimbursement for pharmac y
services in compliance with payor rules and regulations.
- Monitor compliance standards and policies to ensure UI Health
Care receives full and accurate reimbursement for services in
compliance with payor rules and regulations.
- Assist with the resolution of patient shipment issues in a
- Provide refill management calls and follow up to Specialty
Pharmacy patients when assigned.
- Assist Patient Management Team with the resolution of claims
- Provide the highest customer service experience for patients
and providers. Operations and Performance Standards:
- Assist with the regular review of employee documentation in
order to meet quality and accreditation standards.
- Utilize and identify billing tools and processes to maximize
the efficiency of the revenue cycle.
- Assist staff in resolving pharmacy billing discrepancies and
identify possible trends where new process development and/or staff
education is needed.
- Assist with the implementation of new Specialty Pharmacy
services projects and initiatives.
- Serve on the Specialty Pharmacy Services Quality Management
- Solicit feedback from staff to improve processes.
- Identify areas to improve the billing process.
- Identify areas to improve the benefits investigation and prior
- Comply with established cash handling policies and procedures
of the institution and department.
- Assist with the evaluation and implementation of new
- Participate in standard pharmacy operations as the need arises.
- Analyze and prepare routine reports to identify trends and aid
in making financial decisions.
- Compile information for audits as they arise from compliance
and insurance/third party payors in a reportable manner.
- Report discrepancies found during report analysis.
- Document activities required by accrediting agencies, payors
and/or administration (i.e. workload statistics, phone statistics,
- Work with Specialty Pharmacy technician supervisor to develop
and maintain formalized staff training, education, and competency
- Train all new employees on essential daily functions for
- Coordinate follow up at the end of new employee training to
ensure the employee is able to fully perform job duties.
- Develop a mechanism to share daily team workload with the
- Coordinate daily staffing and step in where needed depending on
- Act as primary liaison in communicating with providers, payors,
patients, co-workers, supervisors and departments to resolve
complex revenue cycle issues.
- Understand the importance of effective business communication
and maintaining professionalism in difficult situations.
- Participate in orientation of pharmacy technicians,
pharmacists, pharmacy residents and others within the department on
pharmacy billing practices. Other duties as assigned
Application Process: Please attach cover letter and resume as part
of the application process. Job openings are posted for a minimum
of 14 calendar days. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm
on the posting end date. This job may be removed from posting and
filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended. For
questions or additional information, please contact Jenna Lueth, HR
Manager at email@example.com
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of
education and experience.
- Successful completion of the pharmacy technician certification
exam within nine months of the start of employment. Experience
- Minimum 1 year experience within customer service.
- Experience and proficiency with computer software applications
(i.e. Microsoft Office Suite - Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) or
- Strong attention to detail and proven ability to gather and
analyze data and keep accurate records.
- Self-motivated with initiative to seek out additional
responsibilities and tasks along with generating suggestions for
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, active
listening skills and the ability to maintain professionalism while
handling difficult situations.
- Demonstrate effective problem solving abilities and meets
challenges with resourcefulness.
- Familiarity with medical terminology.Desired
- Experience working in a complex hospital system is highly
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment is
- Pharmacy experience is desirable.
- Experience training and onboarding new employees along with
providing ongoing assessment and feedback to improve
- Knowledge of healthcare billing, experience working with
insurance and/or federal and state assistance programs is
- Experience working with multiple technology platforms (i.e.
Epic, GE) is desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Health Insurance Portability
and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is desirable.
Keywords: University of Iowa, Iowa City , Revenue Cycle Coordinator, Other , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!