Utilities Network Specialist
Company: University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: February 14, 2019
The University of Iowa department of Facilities Management (FM) is seeking a UTILITIES NETWORK SPECIALIST to provide controls engineering and network support for the university's utility production and distribution systems conveying steam, chilled water, domestic water, and electricity.
Working independently, as a team member, and with contractors, maintain the utility control network by deploying control systems, architectures, Windows Domain, and system security while providing for troubleshooting needs. Recommend and support implementation of new network technologies. Be able to manage software contracts, document drawings for devices on the network, and help lead meters & controls team meetings.
The position responsibilities also include deploying software, firmware upgrades, setting up methodologies to monitor network, Windows server administration, and assisting with automation control and applications. Ability to be available off hours if network issues arise to ultimately assist in providing a highly available control network.
- Administration of the utility control network
- Recommendations and programming support for higher level network functions
- Network security; AccessNPN/Firewall management
- Troubleshoot/debug and identify errors, implement fixes
- Documentation of network (IP addressing, physical topology)
- Deploy both commercial and custom programming for utility control systems
- Coordinate with ITS to perform upgrades for hardware and software
- Maintain and improve standards relating to the network
- Database and Window's server administration
- Product recommendations for applications
- Coordinate OS upgrades
- Integration into control systems and network
- Ensure IT practices are being followed on the network
- Support for group policies
- Firewall and server maintenance, both software and hardware
- Industrial software acquisition, maintenance, and tracking
- Engineering support for automation controls, applications, and upgrades
- Assist E&I Techs with field support services as neededPlease attach a cover letter and resume as part of the application process.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, equivalent degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.Experience Required
- Over 5 years of controls network related experience
- Experience with VLANs, HIPER ring (or similar), network management software, and Kiwi, Wild Packets (or similar).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of Active Directory
- Experience with relational databases and performing SOL queries
- Adept at using Excel and add-ins
- Valid driver's license and ability to meet and maintain University Driving Policy standardsThe University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Keywords: University of Iowa, Iowa City , Utilities Network Specialist, Other , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!