Gambling Addiction Counselor
Company: Community and Family Resources
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: November 26, 2022
$1250 sign on bonus eligible! Community and Family -Resources is
seeking a Gambling Addiction Counselor to provide gambling and
outreach services to individuals with gambling addiction disorders
in our Iowa City location.Essential Duties and
- Assists in other assessment processes as required and
- Prepares and distributes assessment results, reports, etc., as
required and requested.
- Participates with the direct supervisor in development of
recommendations for clients.
- Conducts individual assessment sessions for completion of
comprehensive assessment histories of clients.
- Assists clients in completion of necessary assessment
- Treatment Services:
- Provides follow-up services.
- Facilitates groups as required.
- Develops and coordinates individual treatment plans with
client, supervisor, and referral sources.
- Conducts individual, family, and group sessions consistent with
- Assists in the development, coordination, and evaluation of the
- Provides client orientation to treatment services.
- Support Services:
- Provides training for agency staff in areas of own expertise.
- Provides clients and families with referral resources for the
services not provided by this agency or when this agency's services
are not appropriate.
- Assists individuals and families in the intervention process
through educational and planning sessions and, when feasible,
participates in the interventions.
- Maintains appropriate client and pre-client case records.
- Community Education and Outreach:
- Provides community education about problem gambling and
substance use when consistent with program philosophy and personal
- Participates in coordination of community awareness programs
concerning problem gambling and substance use.Schedule:
- Type: Full-time
- Hours: 40+ hours each week. Generally Monday-Friday, with some
flexibility for evenings as needed.Education and Experience
- Bachelors or Masters degree required, preferably in social or
behavioral sciences or related field. Candidates with an Associates
degree and 3+ years of experience as a substance use or gambling
treatment counselor may be considered in lieu of a Bachelor's
- Candidates must have current certification as an Alcohol and
Drug Counselor (CADC or IADC) or the ability to get certification
within 12 months of employment.Required Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, and techniques of
problem gambling and substance abuse treatment.
- Knowledge of the psychosocial aspects of substance abuse and
- Knowledge of the principles of recording and report
- Knowledge of 42CFR and how it applies to Community & Family
- Knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of CARF and IDPH licensure standards.
- Knowledge of public/private welfare, health care, problem
gambling and substance use agencies available in the area served by
- Computer skills including ability to use internet software,
spreadsheet software, work-processing software, and electronic
health record software.
- Ability to communicate effectively, regularly, and fluently in
English; bilingual (English/Spanish) abilities are preferred but
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to understand all policies/procedures and the ability
to reference them from the agency's manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of clients,
community members, or agency employees.
- Ability to apply previous experience and training to the
provision of problem gambling and substance use treatment
- Ability to establish good working relationship with clients and
- Ability to secure appropriate information by direct and
- Ability to analyze problems presented, to bring
agency/community resources to bear within policies and regulations,
and to develop and implement effective courses of action,
- Skill in client evaluation, therapeutic planning, and
integrating best practices into the therapeutic milieu,
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at the same time,
- Ability to diffuse and manage stressful events personally and
- Develop, implement, and evaluate Quality Assurance practices
within the department.
- Ability to meet the demands of an intense level of
- Ability to work with and coordinate mental health services for
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated
ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and
demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
- Incumbents within this position may be required to assist or
find appropriate assistance to make accommodations for individuals
with disabilities in order to ensure access to the organization's
services (may include: visitors, patients, employees, or
- Regularly required to sit and talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to stand and walk.
- May occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
- Must have the ability to move within and between agency
buildings, standing, sitting, lifting and manipulating objects
typically found in this work environment.
- May be required to work at any agency building as
needed/directed and be responsible for her/his own
- May experience traumatic situations including hostile clients,
clients' family members, and/or responsible parties.
- May be required to work extended periods of time at a video
display terminal (VDT).Benefits:
CFR offers a comprehensive benefit package, including IPERS,
medical, dental and vision insurance, flexible spending accounts,
generous paid time off (4 weeks during the first year of
employment), 9 paid holidays, 401(k), paid training, and
Candidates interested in applying should submit an application and
resume. Candidates will be required to complete a background check,
drug screen, and TB test prior to starting employment. Candidates
must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved religious
or medical exemption. CFR is a nicotine free employer.3Equal
Opportunity Employer: -Community and Family Resources is an Equal
Opportunity Employers and prohibits unlawful discrimination based
on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, national
origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical
condition, genetic information, gender identity, sexual
orientation, military status, or any other consideration made
unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. - The requirements
listed in this job description are representative of the knowledge,
skills, and/or abilities required. - Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable person(s) with disabilities to perform the
Keywords: Community and Family Resources, Iowa City , Gambling Addiction Counselor, Other , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!