Company: University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: May 3, 2021
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Department of Central
Sterilizing Services is seeking a full-time Quality and Operations
Improvement Engineer. The Quality and Operations Improvement
Engineer is responsible for: Frontline application and support of
quality team. Facilitation, creation, planning, implementation, and
sustainment of standardized processes and development of pillars
within the quality management system with multidepartment scope and
working group participation. Leveraging Lean/ Six Sigma and other
quality management system tools and culture with a focus on system
wide impact safety, waste, and defect reduction and performance
optimization toward the pursuit of department, division and
organizational goals. Possible supervision, development, support,
and coaching of Quality Coordinator role.
- Facilitation & implementation/ effective change management
strategies of quality & process improvement with shared division
- Support Quality Team in detail development and application of
the quality management system design/ pillar structure.
- Complete risk assessment to assist department in exploring
proactive evaluation of risk and preparation planning.
- Partner with Data Analyst in development and production of
routine key performance indicator data reports for internal and
- Support Quality Team in data collection, analysis, and
- Capture Value Stream Maps for prescribed (IFU) and actual work
- Explore uses of discrete event simulation for low risk concept
- Create, implement, and sustain key standardized processes as a
portion of assigned Quality Management System Pillars.
- Leverage Lean/ Six Sigma and project management skills/ tools
in the facilitation, planning, and implementation of projects in
multidisciplinary division improvements.
- Create change management plans for project implementation/
audit system efforts.
- Model and support Quality Coordinator role in creation and
implementation of project management concepts and best
- Complete quality management system audits per designed audit
- Complete variance reports per department policy & procedures
and AAMI standards.
- Utilize process audits as a portion of sustainment and
standardization of improvement efforts.
- Support department in external inspections.
- Know, support/ educate team members and use AAMI sterilization
- Develop and complete risk assessment and gap analysis
facilitation and documentation.
- Supervise, coach, train, model best practices for Quality
Coordinator role in quality & Lean/ Six Sigma concepts.
- Partner across the enterprise to educate on sterilization
standards and processes.
- Provide real time education of Lean/ Six Sigma and Quality
culture and tools as a portion of quality improvement efforts.
- Support CS team in learning to see problems and communicate
needs/ barriers to support improvement efforts.
- Utilize CS technicians and operations leaders in development,
implementation, and sustainment quality initiatives.
- Partner/ support CS education to support training needs and
assist in training for quality initiatives.
- Provide recommendations of needs for application of quality &
process improvement initiatives.
- Create cost comparisons and implementation strategies
including: Short/ Mid/ Long- Term options.
- Participate as requested in the interview processes for the CS
- Participate in human resource and education policy/ procedures
Schedule: Mostly days Monday-Friday, but flexibility will be
needed for all shifts with 24 hour operations.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or an equivalent
combination of education and experience in quality improvement,
Lean/ Six Sigma, Central Sterilization Services and/ or related
- Minimum three years of Quality Assurance, Quality Improvement,
Risk Management, or related healthcare experience.
- Proficiency with computer software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Lean and/or Six Sigma certification and/ or education and
experience in process improvement, industrial engineering or
- CRCST certification from International Association of
Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management registry (IAHCSMM)
required within two years of hire.
- Previous experience with data collection, interpretation or
statistical analysis in order to determine standards and establish
key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Experience leading implementation of Quality Management Systems
and develop of APQP, Work Instruction, and Policy.
- Previous experience leading collaborative multidisciplinary
groups in cross functional systems improvement initiatives.
- Master's degree in a related field.
Application Process: All interested applicants must submit a
resume and cover letter (under submission relevant materials) that
clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired
qualifications of this position. P&S positions are posted for a
minimum of 14 calendar days. Successful candidates will be subject
to a criminal background check and education verification.
- Classification Title: Qual & Op Improv Engineer
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
- Pay Level: 5A
- Starting Salary Minimum: $50,012
- Starting Salary Maximum: Commensurate
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Callie Henderson
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Keywords: University of Iowa, Iowa City , Quality Engineer, Other , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!