Senior Academic Advisor
Company: The University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: September 13, 2020
Provide academic advising for current students in the College of
Education undergraduate programs at all levels of educational
experience upon admission to the College of Education. Duties to
- Maintain extensive knowledge of relevant academic programs and
- Develop internal and external advising tools and resources in
collaboration with advising staff, faculty, departments, and
- Advise students regarding departmental, collegiate, and
University policies and procedures.
Student Growth, Development and Success
- Develop tools and strategies to meet unit goals and learning
outcomes with respect to student growth, development, and
- Coordinate and/or implement advising strategies and programming
that facilitate student growth, development, and success.
- May sit on department committees or represent unit on various
campus committees, task forces, or initiatives.
- May teach courses focused on student success.
- May collaborate or coordinate student success programming with
other offices or external constituencies.
- May advise student organizations in area of responsibility.
Advocacy from the Advising Perspective
- Provide feedback, suggestions, and recommendations to unit
administration, and to faculty, departments, and colleges as
appropriate, regarding policies and procedures and/or proposed
- Monitor course offerings and enrollment; provide feedback and
make recommendations to unit administration, and to faculty,
departments, and colleges as appropriate, regarding course
offerings, scheduling, and enrollment management.
- May participate in departmental decisions about enrollment
Student Recruitment and Retention
- Provide feedback and offer suggestions to enhance recruitment
and retention programs.
- Develop and deliver programming.
- Assist with coordination of specific recruitment and/or
Strategic Staffing and Professional Development
- Assist in training and professional development activities for
new and current staff.
- May participate in staff recruitment and hiring activities.
- May supervise student employees in specific area of
For a full job description, please send an e-mail to the contact
The offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate degree programs,
including licensure, endorsement and certificate programs, many of
which are regularly ranked among the best in the nation. Students
study with our world-renowned faculty who are leaders, scholars and
innovators in their fields.
A Master's degree in Education or Student Services or equivalent
combination of education and relevant experience
- Experience working directly with undergraduate students in an
academic setting. Typically, a minimum of three years'
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to address the advising
needs of students
- Experience in undergraduate advising
- Demonstrated understanding of anti-racism, diversity, equity
and inclusion issues and ability to effectively interact with
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Public speaking experience
In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload
a resume and cover letter and mark them as a "Relevant File" to the
submission. Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar
days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the
original posting period has ended. Successful candidates will be
subject to a criminal background check and credential check. Up to
5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will
receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on
the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic
information, religion, associational preference, status as a
qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected
Keywords: The University of Iowa, Iowa City , Senior Academic Advisor, Other , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!