Company: The University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: February 22, 2021
University of Iowa Health Care seeks 2 health care attorneys. UI
Health Care is a leading academic medical center comprised of the
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, University of Iowa Stead
Family Children's Hospital, Carver College of Medicine, University
of Iowa Physicians, and University of Iowa Health System.-- Both
attorneys will report to the chief legal counsel for UI Health Care
and will be responsible for providing legal advice in a fast-paced
environment in support of UI Health Care and its affiliated
entities as--part of a collaborative team. This position will
provide a broad range of health care legal services. One attorney
position will be focus on complex and high impact health care
transactions as well as health care regulatory analysis and
strategic legal advice. One attorney position will focus on
employment law matters (e.g., employment, labor, medical staff,
faculty affairs) and support operational contracts (e.g.,
information technology). Successful candidates will possess:
integrity, dependability, excellent judgment, strong analytical and
problem-solving skills, discretion, excellent writing,
communication and organizational skills, be a good listener with a
positive attitude, practice with attention to detail, have the
ability to interact with many individuals at a professional level,
and be able to effectively meet deadlines while handling
conflicting priorities. Each position will be filled based on
qualifications of selected candidate as either Assistant/Associate
Counsel or Deputy Counsel. Responsibilities include:
- Provide counsel to administration and clinical staff regarding
federal and state laws affecting the clinical and business
operations of UIHC and its affiliates.
- Draft, review, and negotiate contracts and other legal
- Advise on delivery of care issues including informed consent,
privacy, scope of practice, licensure, disclosures to law
enforcement, patients' rights, medical staff, and peer review
- Develop and review policies and procedures for business and
- Develop and conduct training programs for UI Health Care staff
and administrators on legal and policy issues.
- Collaborate with the Attorney General's office on potential or
- Collaborate with and oversee outside legal counsel.
- May provide functional supervision over staff while
researching, investigating and preparing legal
- Other duties as assigned Required qualifications
- Possession of a Juris Doctorate or equivalent degree in
- Admission in good standing with the Iowa State Bar Association
or eligibility for admission.
- 3-5 years of experience practicing law.
- Knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations relating to
health care operations
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written communication, including preparation
and delivery of presentations to all levels of the
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity in the work/academic
environment. Desired Qualifications
- Experience practicing law for clients in a complex
- For the transactional attorney position:
- Experience with complex transactions or joint ventures with
providers, third-party payors, or vendors.
- Experience with the state and federal health care regulatory
requirements, in particular Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statue,
antitrust, tax-exemption, federal and state privacy laws, and the
Affordable Care Act.
- For the employment and operational contracting position:
- Experience with employment law and labor relations.
- Experience with medical staff matters.
- Experience with faculty affairs matters.
- Experience with employment-related investigations and
- Experience with contracts pertaining to health care
- Experience with federal and state privacy laws. Application
Process:--In order to be considered, applicants must upload--resume
and cover letter--and mark them as a "Relevant File" to the
submission.. -- Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14
calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time
after the original posting period has ended. Successful candidates
will be subject to a criminal background check. Up to 5
professional references will be requested at later step in the
recruitment process. This position is not eligible for University
sponsorship for employment authorization. Additional Information
- Classification Title: Assistant/Associate Counsel
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time Compensation Contact Information Equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer The University of Iowa is
an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified
applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration
for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race,
creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion,
associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a
disability, or status as a protected veteran. Persons with
disabilities who need assistance or accommodations with the
application or interview process may contact University Human
Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services, (319) 335-2660 or
email@example.com . For jobs in UI Health care, please contact UI
Health care Leave & Disability Administration at 319-356-7543 .
My Profile Create and manage profiles for future opportunities.
Contact us to learn more about how to qualify for Veteran's
Keywords: The University of Iowa, Iowa City , Assistant/Associate Counsel, Legal , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!