Software Engineer II -
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: November 5, 2018
ACT is a nonprofit organization helping people achieve educational and workplace success. Our programs are designed to boost lifelong learning in schools and workplaces around the world. Whether it's guiding students along their learning paths, enabling companies to develop their workforce, fostering parent, teacher, and counselor understanding of student progress, guiding job seekers toward career success, or informing policymakers about education and workforce issues. ACT is passionate about making a difference in all we do.
Learn more about working at ACT at act.org.
The Software Engineer II is responsible for an exciting merge of ACTNext research and software development in order to create innovative solutions for ACTNext projects. The engineer will review, recommend, design and implement solutions that leverage industry best-practice processes, architectures and platforms. This includes cloud-based deployments using services at Amazon Web Services (AWS), web frameworks, mobile development all with consideration for implementation scalability, reliability, consistency, and performance. This role will engage in Agile processes to ensure product quality, robustness, scalability and consistency.
Typical work-related activities include:
- Work closely with research scientists/directors to understand and translate research into practical solutions, prototypes.
- Independently design, create, maintain and enhance solutions with reusable components that can be leveraged by multiple teams.
- Collaborate with scrum team to support all SDLC activities. This includes activity in consideration of product scalability, reliability, consistency, and performance.
- Recommend tools and standards to ensure software quality and performance standards.
- Actively participate in design / architectural discussions, user stories, sprint demos, and scrums to help establish a Behavior-Driven Development (BDD) approach.
- Recommend product, infrastructure or design changes to ensure quality and performance standards.
- Bachelor's degree in a related area required, preferably in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Mathematics, Statistics or Information Systems
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired
- A minimum of 3 years of IT experience that includes using the latest technologies and techniques (Note: Software Engineer II requires 3 years of IT experience. Flexibility may exist to consider Software Engineer I candidates, which does not require 3 years of IT experience)
- Experience in Container and/or Serverless computing required; preferably using one or more of the following: node.js, python, ruby
- Experience in architecting software solutions, and technical design in continuous integration environment
- Experience working in a microservice architecture preferred
- Experience working in an Agile development environment preferred
- Experience with AWS solutions is preferred
- Experience working with open source community is preferred
- Experience in a production monitoring solutions such as NewRelic, app scripting preferred
- Understanding of test automation frameworks such as mocha/JUnit, etc. preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to participate in teams integrating code into automated deployment pipelines
- Beyond coding, willing and able to work in all areas of a software project (project setup/modifications, deployment pipeline setup/modifications, database setup/configuration, AWS service setup/configuration, etc.)
- Some knowledge of how to write/test RESTful APIs
- Strong knowledge of version control such as Git required
- Linux command line experience preferred
- Demonstrated relational and no-SQL database skills (DynamoDB, MongoDB, MySQL)
- Demonstrated ability to use JSON and XML required
- Strong communication and collaboration skills required
- Demonstrated success in new technology implementation
- Demonstrated ability to develop innovative solutions to technical issues
- Results-oriented and able to work across the organization
- Ability to lead others through changes in a rapidly transforming organization preferred
Keywords: ACT, Iowa City , Software Engineer II -, IT / Software / Systems , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!