General Department Assistant
Company: Natural Grocers
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: January 16, 2020
OverviewThe General Department Assistant is responsible for
assisting the Department Managers in the successful operation and
profitability of each department (Vitamins, Body Care,
Grocery/Dairy/Frozen/Bulk, Produce, Receiving). This position has
limited Manager on Duty responsibilities.ResponsibilitiesKey
Responsibilities include the essential functions, but are not
- Customers are greeted and serviced per company standards of
World Class customer service and customer complaints are handled
appropriately per company policy.
- Professionalism is required at all times. The highest level of
respect and integrity in day-to-day actions with employees,
customers, vendors and outside contacts is required.
- The departments are inviting, orderly, clean and all displays
eye appealing and adequately stocked.
- Products customers want to buy are in-stock and customers are
provided with new choices.
- Passive demos are provided with customer preferred
- Special orders are handled appropriately and per company
- The departments are set, maintained and closed per company
standards on a daily basis
- Cost of goods sold (COGS) is maintained within company
- Product is ordered from the appropriate vendor in order to
receive discounts and maintain highest margins.
- Promptly and correctly shrinks out damaged and expired product
- Inventory management maintain and monitor proper inventory
levels per company standards utilizing SAP system and reports.
- In-stock conditions meet company standards.
- Product mix is monitored per company policy.
- Assist with the training of department personnel and follow up
on assigned tasks.
- Work with other Department Managers to accomplish tasks on a
- Product knowledge is continually increased, including the use
of Structure/Function statements and/or statements of nutritional
- Responsible for proper signage, product rotation, ordering,
cleanliness, stocking, backstock, and returns per company
procedures and standards.
- Able to work weekends, holidays, attend store meetings and work
a flexible work schedule -40 hours a week.
- The General Department Assistants involvement is required with
- Supports store opening and closing activities including Daily
Sales Report (DSR) and cash handling and cashier closeout
- Ensures customers are waited on in a timely manner and per
company standards of excellence.
- Performance and personnel issues should only be discussed in
the managers office, not in front of other employees, customers or
- This position is never intended to be the overall Manager on
Duty for the store. ProduceIn addition to the already stated
duties, the Produce responsibilities include:
- Ensuring the produce rack is consistently fresh, full and
- Produce is culled and rotated daily as well as crisped and
watered on a regular basis.
- Produce is stored properly at the end of the day.
- Ensuring safety guidelines are followed at all times including
knife safety, slip prevention and safe lifting.
- All incoming produce orders are received per company standards
and taken to the produce department to be stocked or placed in the
cooler. Produce backstock is dated and kept organized by
date.ReceivingIn addition to the already stated duties, the
Receiving responsibilities include:
- All incoming products are received and recorded per company
standards on a daily basis. This includes:
- checking all product expiration dates as appropriate
- stamping the invoice with the date the product was received and
writing the receipt number on the purchase order
- logging all UPS, FedEx and 3rdparty shippers on to the
- ensuring all checked-in product flows to the sales floor
- ensuring that dairy, frozen or other perishable product is
stored in the freezer or cooler;
- checking for special orders, setting aside special order
products, handling customer notifications, and notifying the
department manager if a special order does not come in.
- closing known open purchase orders at the end of each day
- All incoming products from DSD vendors (goods receipt without a
purchase order) are received and recorded
- All discrepancies are handled per company standards on a daily
basis. This includes:
- researching discrepancy on the same day the PO is received
making sure it is a true discrepancy
- calling the over-ships and miss-picks in to the vendors
- Completing as returns to vendor the expired/damaged products
- Processing invoices daily and sending in to Home office twice
- Receiving and checking-in all incoming product is according to
the following priority dairy, frozen, grocery, vitamins, and body
- Communicating with other department managers and store staff
incoming product, special orders, discounts, free fills and any
other pertinent information.
- Receiving produce orders are in the absence of the Produce
Manager or designated staff.
- Ensuring the backroom remains secure at all times.Although this
is a general outline of job responsibilities all employees are
expected to be hands on and do whatever it takes to get the job
done and make the company thrive.QualificationsEducation, Skills &
- High school diploma or GED preferred
- Previous retail experience in a grocery or retail environment;
natural foods background a plus
- Ability to pass applicable food safety training courses and/or
certifications as required by state and/or county law and maintain
compliance by keeping certifications up to date and registered with
the appropriate agency if applicable.
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Possesses a sense of urgency in the completion of tasks
- Highly organized with great attention to detail
- Ability to take direction and follow through
- Must be cashier trained.
- Basic computer knowledge and experience required
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and OutlookThis job description is
not an employment contract. It does not guarantee a job or that the
above listed duties are the limit of responsibilities. The job and
job description are subject to change with and without notice.
Employees are required to accomplish any and all tasks assigned to
him/her by their Store Manager and/or other corporate managers that
may not be listed in this job description.Physical Capabilities:
HeavyKey for Physical Demands: N = Never O = Occasional; 1-33% of
time F = Frequent; 34-75% of time C = Constant; 76-100% of
timeEnvironmental DemandsKey for Environmental Demands: N = Never O
= Occasional; 1-33% of time F = Frequent; 34-75% of time C =
Constant; 76-100% of timeConnect With Us!Not ready to apply?for
general consideration.LocationUS-IA-Iowa CityJob
ID2019-12739Address1404 S. Gilbert St.CategoryStores
Keywords: Natural Grocers, Iowa City , General Department Assistant, Hospitality & Tourism , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!