Company: The University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: January 16, 2020
Job Description: University Dining is seeking a Sous Chef to help
with supervision and execution of the production, preparation and
presentation of foods. Will be responsible for maintaining quality
and cost controls through efficient food preparation. Will also
schedule, train, supervise and coordinate the work of assigned
staff involved in food preparation and service under the direction
of the Chef. Duties to include:
- Participating in and monitoring the preparation and service of
foods as instructed and assigned.
- Actively participating in menu planning and recipe
- Assisting in controlling food inventory by maintaining par
inventory levels in the assigned areas.
- Providing direction, assignments, feedback, coaching and
counseling of assigned staff to ensure outcomes are achieved.
University of Iowa Dining is committed to quality, meaning food is
more than items on a plate, it's an experience. The University of
Iowa Dining team takes pride in providing the best product by using
fresh ingredients, developing partnerships with local sources, and
committing to food innovation and creativity. Comprehensive
University of Iowa benefits for these positions include health and
dental insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirements savings,
24 days of paid vacation per year, and 11 paid holidays per year.
The location for this Sous Chef position is University Catering.
For full position description(s), please email the contact listed
below. About the Division of Student Life: The Division of Student
Life is comprised of staff that embrace new ideas and thoughts,
works together to keep our students safe, and provides them with
life-changing experiences. The Division of Student Life includes 14
departments that span from Recreation Services to the office of
Leadership, Service and Civic Engagement and everything in between.
We believe in working together as one team to achieve our mission:
fostering student success by creating and promoting inclusive
educationally purposeful services and activities within and beyond
the classroom. One of our division priorities is to advance UI's
goals to recruit and retain U.S. racial/ethnic minority (URM) staff
and students. Qualifications: Required Qualifications:
- A combination of education and experience that is equivalent to
bachelor's degree in Dietetics, Foods and Nutrition, Institutional
Management, Hotel & Restaurant Administration or related field; or
completion of a certificate in the Culinary Arts and related
- Experience (typically 6 months - 1 year) in preparation and
distribution of foods utilizing the latest techniques and knowledge
- Experience (typically 6 months - 1 year) in food service
management, including supervising and inventory control
- Working proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word,
Excel, Access) software applications.
- Demonstrated working proficiency in the ability to collaborate
and interact with individuals and groups, while appreciating the
unique contribution of individuals from a variety of
- Demonstrated working proficiency to lead and coach individuals
or groups in learning and improving effectiveness in processes and
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills,
with the ability to effectively transmit, receive, and accurately
interpret ideas, information and needs through appropriate
communication methods and behaviors at a working proficiency
- Ability to obtain and maintain ServSafe Certification.
- Valid driver's license and ability to meet the University's
Fleet Safety Program requirements. Desirable Qualifications:
- Experience (typically 1-3 years) in personnel supervision.
- Experience in banquet planning, working large-scale food
service and retail operations.
- Working knowledge of electronic payroll and timekeeping
- Experience working with a variety of different cultural
cuisines. Application Details: Job openings are posted for a
minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and
filled any time after the original posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background
check. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later
step in the recruitment process. The University of Iowa is an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants
are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for
employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed,
color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation,
gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational
preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or
status as a protected veteran.
Keywords: The University of Iowa, Iowa City , Sous Chef, Hospitality & Tourism , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!