Public Health Nurse-Registered Nurse
Company: Johnson County
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: February 8, 2019
DEFINITION AND DUTIES
Under general supervision, provide nursing services for Women Infant Children (WIC) /Maternal Child Health (MCH) programs and/or child care sites. Administer screening tests and immunizations, provide care coordination, complete documentation, assist with clinics and direct/provide services to support child care providers in meeting the health and safety needs of children.Knowledge of:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Health assessment
- Child/infant growth and development and health maintenance
- Common pediatric problems and illnesses
- Communicable disease prevention and control
- Child/infant immunization schedule, methods of administration, side effects and contraindications
- Maternal health issues during and after pregnancy
- Community resources and partnership building
- English language to include grammar, spelling, sentence structure, and vocabulary skills
- Learn, apply, and articulate departmental policies and procedures
- Apply State or Federal standards as they relate to programs
- Represent Johnson County and perform duties in a professional, responsible and trustworthy manner
- Maintain confidentiality and security of information as appropriate
- Collect data, keep accurate records and prepare reports
- Be detail oriented when working with documents and information
- Maintain effective working relationships with clients, coworkers, supervisors, other health professionals, community agencies, child care providers, and members of the public
- Provide customer service that is courteous and responsive
- Communicate and interact effectively with persons representing widely divergent socioeconomic backgrounds with possible language/cultural barriers, interests, and points of view
- Follow oral and written instructions
- Organize and present factual information and ideas or opinions clearly and concisely, in oral or written form
- Handle multiple tasks and competing priorities
- Operate common office equipment such as calculators, fax machines, photocopiers, and multi-line telephones
- Use of a computer for purposes of data entry, spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail and Internet
- Handle moderate levels of stress, meet deadlines, and solve problems appropriate to the position
- Have clarity of speech, hearing, and writing which permits effective communication
- Have sufficient vision which permits moderate production and review of a wide variety of materials in both electronic and hardcopy forms
- Have sufficient manual dexterity to make handwritten notations and which permits moderate use of a keyboard and mouse
- Stand, sit, squat, kneel, bend, twist, and reach
- Have sufficient personal mobility to complete work at various facilities
- Lift and/or move up to 35 pounds as needed
- Work flexible schedule and additional hours as needed
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Associates degree in nursing AND two (2) years experience of general nursing experience in pediatric, maternal, school, or public health preferred.
Special requirements: Must be licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of Iowa. Valid drivers license and insurable under County liability coverage. Must pass background check.
SPECIFIC DUTIES: to be performed satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Plan, develop and coordinate program activities within WIC/MCH programs.
- Obtain measurements of height, weight, length and head circumference and conduct blood work for hemoglobin and lead poisoning analysis.
- Provide health screening, developmental screening, initial health intake, tracking, education, referral, care coordination and follow-up as appropriate to program participants.
- Counsel clients on the immunization schedule, side effects and contraindications; sign clients immunization certificates upon review.
- Administer injections (i.e. immunizations, Immunoglobulin, etc) children and adults.
Perform TB skin tests.
- Collect clinical specimens for control of communicable diseases (i.e. pertussis testing, sputum collection, stool specimens, blood draws, etc).
- Document client assessments/referrals; enter and access client information in program databases.
- Perform assessments of child care environments.
- Plan, provide, and coordinate health and safety information for child care sites through teaching, one-on-one consultation, technical assistance, referrals and group training to child care providers, children, families, and/or the community.
- Serve as a mandatory reporter to the Department of Human Services (DHS)
- Assist in compiling accurate data for the evaluation of programs.
- Stock, maintain, and disinfect lab area.
- Monitor and record vaccination storage temperatures.
- Participate in preparedness response as directed.
- Assist in development of students completing internships and practicum experiences at Johnson County Public Health.
- Participate in work-related meetings, committees, training, conferences, seminars and educational opportunities as required.
- Perform all work duties and activities in accordance with County policies, procedures and safety practices.
- Attend work regularly at the designated place and time.
Keywords: Johnson County, Iowa City , Public Health Nurse-Registered Nurse, Healthcare , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!