LPN - Mercy Neurology Clinic
Company: Mercy Iowa City
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: November 21, 2020
Functions as a member of the clinical team, promoting and assuring
patient centered care. Assists with planning, delivery,
coordination, and tracking of patient care. Prepares the patient
for the exam, assists the provider during the exam and treatment of
the patient, and assists the patient after the exam to ensure
understanding and compliance with provider instructions. Performs
routine laboratory procedures to include collection and preparation
Job Duties/Performance Expectations
Title and Definition
- Triages phone calls from patients, pharmacies, and other
medical practices to determine appropriate action and relaying to
provider when needed.
- Prepares for the exam prior to the appointment by reviewing the
patient's history, ensuring previous test results and referral
notes are available in the electronic health record (EHR), and
documenting changes in the EHR where needed.
- Prepares the patient for the exam by taking a detailed history,
complete set of vitals, and documenting the information in the
- Assists with the collection and preparation of laboratory
specimens, informs patient of results, and documents results and
patient notification in the EHR.
- Obtains prior authorization for diagnostic testing and
medications from the insurance company when needed.
- Assists the provider with the exam and procedures to include
performing EKGs, administering medications and injections,
documentation in the EHR, and ensuring the completion of provider
- Assists the patient after the exam to ensure understanding of
the plan of care provided, ability of the patient to comply with
the plan of care, and provides education when needed.
- Sets up appointments for referrals ordered by the provider,
follows up to ensure appointment was kept, and ensures
documentation from the referral is received.
- Assists the provider with medication refills to include
gathering needed information, communicating with the pharmacy, and
performing refills when standing orders apply.
- Maintains exam rooms and equipment to include cleaning,
sterilization, restocking of supplies, and ensuring equipment is in
working order. Notifies supervisor of needed supplies and repair
- Provides necessary clerical support, such as completing
requisitions, filing etc.
- High school diploma required.
- Graduate of an accredited licensed practical nursing (LPN)
- Previous experience in a clinical setting with an understanding
of anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology, and the ability to
record information accurately and legibly preferred.
- LPN License either from the Iowa Board of Nursing or one
recognized by the IBN as valid to practice nursing in the State of
- Current Basic Life Support validation or successfully complete
BLS course within 3 months of date of hire - required
Schedule: Monday- Friday; Days
Wage range: $18.86-$27.47 per hour
Keywords: Mercy Iowa City, Iowa City , LPN - Mercy Neurology Clinic, Healthcare , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!