Health Records Associate
Company: University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: March 28, 2020
TheUniversity of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Department of
Surgery is seeking a Heath Records Associate (PRH1) to workas part
of a team to maintain the hospital trauma and burn registries. This
position plays an integral part ofmaintaining our Level I Trauma
(Adult/Pediatric) and Burn center designations.
Position Summary: Contribute to thesuccess of the Department of
Surgery by updating and maintaining the Trauma andBurn Registries
for the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics and Universityof
Iowa Stead Family Children's Hospital. Duties include working with
computers and medical records in order toreview, analyze, abstract,
code and enter data for trauma and burn patients.
Duties to include:
- Maintainsthe trauma and burn registries for University of Iowa
Hospitals & Clinicsand University of Iowa Children's Hospital.
- Identifies patients meeting criteria for entry into the
- Maintains computerized log of trauma/burn patients.
- Accurately abstracts data, diagnoses and procedures/operations
from patient charts and electronic medical records.
- Accurately assigns codes and scores of all injuries utilizing
AIS and ICD-9/10 systems.
- Accurately enters data into the trauma/burn registries.
- Works cooperatively with outside hospitals, agencies and other
departments to obtain necessary information.
- Manages data and prepares reports monthly and as
- Assists with meeting reportingrequirements of the Iowa
Department of Public Health (IDPH), National TraumaData Bank
(NTDB), National Burn Registry (NBR), Trauma & Burn
QualityImprovement Projects (TQIP/BQIP) and others as
- Reviews, corrects and validates registrydata on a regular basis
and prior to submission to reporting agencies.
- Works as a team to complete timely dataentry (concurrently,
retrospectively) and to perform inter-raterreliability/accuracy
- Assists with activities to prepare forand maintain verification
by regulatory agencies (American College of Surgeons,American Burn
- Maintains a working knowledge ofcriteria necessary to maintain
trauma and burn center verifications.
- Participates as an integral member ofthe trauma and burn
performance improvement programs by maintaining knowledgeof current
and ongoing PI projects, definitions and results of benchmarking
andrisk adjusted reports.
- Demonstrates capability to use andtroubleshoot computer
hardware and registry software.
- Provides training and technical supportfor the Trauma/Burn
registries by participating in staff orientation and trainingof
additional registry personnel as appropriate.
- Assists in trauma/burn research,education, and other activities
- Participates in professional developmentto assure skills and
relevant knowledge and to maintain requirements forcertifications
and special programs.
- Ensures confidentiality of patient dataand takes appropriate
precautions to ensure security of data by performingroutine
- Performs projects and tasks asassigned.
- Ability to maintain a regular schedule.
- Other duties as assigned.
DepartmentSummary: The UI Department of Surgery iscommitted to
saving lives - and improving our patients' quality of life-through
excellent surgical techniques and extraordinary patient care.
Oursurgeons and medical professionals address a wide variety of
complex medicalissues, from matching donors with recipients in the
Organ Transplant Center toproviding continuous care for both adult
and pediatric trauma victims in thestate's only designated Level I
Trauma Center and certified regional BurnTreatment Center. Our
specialists provide critical surgical support amongcomprehensive,
multidisciplinary teams for the treatment of
cancer,gastrointestinal and colorectal diseases, vascular ailments,
as well asadvanced surgical care for even the smallest pediatric
patients. Skilledplastic and reconstructive surgeons manage complex
reconstructive issuesresulting from deformities, traumatic
injuries, or cancer excision in bothadult and pediatric patients,
in addition to surgical and non-surgical cosmeticservices for
Percentof Time: 100%
Schedule:8:00am - 5:00pm
Location:UIHC Main campus
Rotations:Monday - Friday
- Regular hourly position located in IowaCity, Iowa
- Fringe benefit package including paidvacation; sick leave;
health, dental, life and disability insurance options;and generous
employer contributions into retirement plans. For more information
on benefits, pleasevisit:
- For more information about Why Iowa?, click
- Certification as a Registered Health Information Administrator
(RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Certified
Tumor Registrar (CTR), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified
Specialist in Trauma Registries (CSTR) or RN.
- A Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education
- Knowledge of University of Iowa policies, procedures and
- Experience managing complex informationrequiring attention to
- Experience working with Trauma or Burn registries or other
- Demonstrated ability to work independently,needing minimal
- Knowledge of medical record coding practices,procedures, and
- Ability to interpret guidelines, criteria anddefinitions.
- Knowledge of human anatomy
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent written verbal communication andinterpersonal
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
ApplicationProcess: In order to be considered, applicants must
upload a cover letter and resume(undersubmission relevant
materials) thatclearly address how they meet the listed required
and desired qualifications ofthis position. Successful candidates
will be asked to provide5 references at a later stage of the
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days.
Applications will beaccepted until 11:59 PM on 3/26/2020.
Successful candidates will be subject to acriminal background check
and successful completion of a health evaluation.This position is
not eligible for University sponsorship for
Keywords: University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, Iowa City , Health Records Associate, Healthcare , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!