Academic or Clinical Program Management Coordinator/Manager
Company: University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: April 15, 2019
The Tippie College of Business seeks a Director for the Des Moines
Graduate Management Programs (GMP). This position is responsible
for providing oversight, coordination and programmatic leadership
to ensure the efficient operation of student services for the
Tippie College of Business Graduate Management Programs in Des
Moines. The Graduate Management Programs supports the professional
growth of over 600 fully employed professionals in Des Moines each
semester who are seeking graduate degrees and certificates.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Creating a student experience for GMP students (Professional
MBA, Business Analytics, and Professional Certificates) that
supports educational and professional development metrics and meets
- Creating and implementing a plan to ensure student enrollment,
engagement and retention.
- Managing the Des Moines site student services functions
including academic advising, student professional development,
communication flow, and social engagement activities.
- Overseeing the Des Moines on-site student support
- Coordinate and collaborate with GMP staff to create and
implement a developmental and successful experience for the Des
- Conducting alumni, community and corporate development and
relationship management with regional employers and professional
- Budgeting oversight and management for the site.
- Supervising the Des Moines Assistant Director and evening staff
(part-time), including interviewing, hiring, training, and
The position is based in Des Moines with 20% time in Iowa City
expected in most weeks. Given that classes run evenings and
occasional weekends, a flexible schedule and some evening and
weekend hours spent onsite is required.
As a key member of the team that supports the development and
success of GMP students who are seeking graduate degrees and
certificates, the Director plays a critical role in every students
experience and supports the teams culture of optimism,
collaboration, proactive problem solving, and stellar service to
our students. The Director works collaboratively with multiple
constituents within the Tippie College of Business including staff
from other MBA and masters programs, faculty, departmental
executive officers, and other business units.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY (KARS)
Academic Program Management
- Design, develop, implement, and oversee the annual Student
Experience and Site Plan, which includes student activities,
advising sessions, community engagement opportunities, and other
experiences that add to the professional and educational
development for GMP students who are seeking graduate degrees and
- Conduct ongoing program needs assessments, evaluations and
student surveys targeted for each program, as appropriate.
- Manage the professional development experiences for on-site
programming that happens outside of the classes, including
determining interest areas, securing speakers, executing events,
and soliciting student feedback.
- Oversee the Des Moines GMP Student Association/Advisory Board
that is managed by the Assistant Director of Des Moines Graduate
- Collaborate with GMP Career Management staff to offer
activities that assist students with their career development.Admit
and Retain Prospective and Current Students
- Serve on the admissions committee, assist with application
review and provide input on admission decisions.
- Create and execute a plan of targeted interactions to ensure
strong retention of GMP students who are seeking graduate degrees
- Advise current and prospective GMP students who are seeking
graduate degrees and certificates regarding admission,
registration, course selection, individualized plans of study, and
- Provide accurate and current curricular information to students
pursuing GMP graduate degrees and certificates, and document the
communication in the student records.
- Oversee the current student advising conducted by the Assistant
Director of Des Moines MBA Programs.Enrollment and Course
- Recommend the courses needed annually to support skill
development in areas desired by the Des Moines students.
- Develop a desired schedule of courses in conjunction with the
Graduate Management Programs Assistant Deans and Faculty
- Analyze course enrollment reports. Develop, maintain, and
monitor reports to support the Des Moines site program
goals.Corporate Development and Partner Engagement
- Develop and maintain relationships with the business community
and other key stakeholders and partners in Central Iowa.
- Manage relationships with alumni.
- Engage with other leaders of University of Iowa educational
programming in Des Moines.Site Management for PMBA and Part-time
Business Analytics Programs
- Provide operational supervision and coordination of services at
the Des Moines campus.
- Hire, train, schedule and manage the performance of support
- Advise STEAD staff and property manager.
- Orient new faculty to the site.Budget Oversight and
Develop the Des Moines site budget to align with program goals.
Administer the program budget and monitor expenditures.
Communicating for Effective Relationships and Committee
- Serve as a key member of the cohesive Graduate Management
- Provide a customer-first orientation, with a can-do attitude
and quick problem resolution.
- Manage and/or support special projects as assigned.
- Serve on Graduate Management Programs, Tippie College, and/or
University committees as assigned.Supervision Exercised
The Des Moines Director for Graduate Management Programs supervises
the Assistant Director for Des Moines Graduate Management Programs.
Administrative and functional supervision is exercised over Des
Moines Site Services Coordinators who work in the Des Moines
facility. This position also serves as functional supervisor for
the IT Support Analyst who works in Des Moines, in conjunction with
the staff from Stead Technology Services and University of Iowa
For questions, additional information and/or a complete job
description, please contact Nancy Kroeze at .
There is an expectation that the person in this position will
maintain effective, civil, and respectful working relationships
with the University of Iowa campus community and uphold a high
standard of cultural competency and respect for difference that
represents the Tippie College of Business commitment to diversity,
equity, and inclusion.
Successful candidates will be subject to a credential and criminal
Please note regarding references: Five professional references will
be requested and required at a later step in the recruitment
- Masters degree in a related field, or an equivalent combination
of education and experience
- Typically a minimum of three years of experience in managing
and monitoring programs.
- Expert knowledge of and ability to communicate effectively with
individuals and large groups both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated constructive and collaborative relationship
building skills with a variety of individuals and groups, including
direct reports, peers, leadership, and external constituents.
- Working knowledge of planning and managing budgets.
- Demonstrated leadership skills including motivation,
supervision, delegation, planning, assessment, and the ability to
train and manage staff.
- Practical application and experience with spreadsheet, word
processing, and database software as well as other applications
required for data organization and analysis.
- Work experience that demonstrates ability in performing
detailed documentation, prioritizing multiple tasks, and meeting
- Valid drivers license and ability to meet and maintain UI Fleet
Safety driving requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to interact positively with a diverse
- Experience in higher education program management or comparable
- Typically two or more years of experience in higher education
academic advising or similar advising role, such as admissions
counseling, career advising, or study abroad advising with
demonstrated ability to counsel and guide students toward academic
success and graduation.
- Familiarity with the Des Moines business community.
- Demonstrated experience engaging in business development
opportunities with corporate clients.
- Understanding of student retention issues.
- Working knowledge of customer relationship management systems,
such Salesforce, and presentation software.
- Knowledge of University of Iowa policies and procedures.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will
receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on
the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic
information, religion, associational preference, status as a
qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected
Keywords: University of Iowa, Iowa City , Academic or Clinical Program Management Coordinator/Manager, Executive , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!