Clinical Department Assistant Director - Pediatrics
Company: The University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: April 8, 2021
Clinical Department Assistant Director - Pediatrics The Stead
Family Department of Pediatrics is seeking a Clinical Department
Assistant Director to lead and manage the administrative,
operational and business functions of multiple divisions within the
Department. The position will also lead and manage strategic
projects and initiatives from development to implementation. Duties
to include : Human Resources
- Benchmark, develop, recommend, review, and monitor staffing
models in conjunction with departmental administrator, HR
Representative and Division Directors. Hire, develop and manage the
performance of division administrative support staff and ensure
adequate staffing, support, training and development of
- Provide mentorship, development and training opportunities for
administrative support staff within the department. Provide
advanced development opportunities and mentoring for staff
interested in career development and scope expansion.
- Engage in personnel issues, including hiring, investigations,
discipline, and termination, in conjunction with departmental human
resources for relevant areas of oversight and management.
- Develop budget or direct budget development for divisional
units and create systems for effective implementation and
monitoring. May have responsibility for revenue generation, which
requires understanding of patient revenue processes, research
funding, state appropriations, and/or other funding models.
- Identify opportunities for administrative operational
improvement across departmental and divisional missions including
clinical, education and research. Provide direction and support for
- Provide data analysis regarding clinical operations,
productivity metrics, financial metrics and strategic benchmarks to
ensure operational, financial and strategic initiatives are being
- Provide financial oversight of divisional expenses, clinical
billing and charges, and revenue for the entire revenue cycle.
Engage in appropriate follow-up regarding coding and or billing
discrepancies and variances. Develop mechanisms by which expenses
can be managed, maintained, or decreased within budget cycles and
- Oversee all procurement including purchase and use of all
supplies and equipment at the division level. Review and approve
expenditures and reconcile to budget projections.
- Utilize clinical informatics data to engage with departmental
and hospital clinical care providers in support of operational
improvements to patient care delivery.
- Serve in an advisory capacity to the Clinical Department
Administrator in planning clinical and fiscal operations.
- Ensure maintenance and adherence to patient care standards as
set by state rules and regulations, UIHC policies and guidelines,
The Joint Commission regulations and other regulatory entities.
Ensure a safe and therapeutic clinical environment while providing
the highest levels of customer service.
- Act as a liaison for the patient and pediatric services,
resolve concerns and complaints in a timely manner as directed by
the Clinical Department Administrator, in conjunction with care
providers. Planning and Goal Management
- Collaborate with Division Directors in the development of
division strategic plans, implementation of strategic plans, and
- Assist in developing strategic plan, implementation plans with
unit leaders and monitor progress.
- Develop initiatives to improve operational efficiency within
divisional business functions, as well as clinical operational
efficiencies, analyze the impact of operational initiatives, and
- Collaborate with physician leadership in the identification,
proposal and implementation of new programs and services.
- Coordinate communication and support collaboration among staff,
medical staff, and healthcare leadership.
- Model and actively promote a culture of Service Excellence.
About The Stead Family Department of Pediatrics The Stead Family
Department of Pediatrics comprises the medical and research staff
of University of Iowa Stead Family Children's Hospital, one of the
nation's top-ranked pediatric care and research institutions. It is
the only university-affiliated hospital in Iowa devoted solely to
the care of infants, children, adolescents and young adults, and is
Iowa's only accredited Level 1 Regional Resource Pediatric Trauma
Center. In 2019-2020 University of Iowa Stead Family Children's
Hospital ranked in six pediatric specialties in the Best Children's
Hospitals U.S. News and World Report, including neonatology,
orthopedics, diabetes and endocrinology, nephrology, neurology and
neurosurgery, and is the only hospital in Iowa to be nationally
ranked by U.S. News and World Report for children's care. A new
190-bed children's hospital opened in February 2017. Percent of
Time: 100% Pay Grade: 6A Benefits Highlights:
- Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
- Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave;
health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous
employer contributions into retirement plans
- For more information about Why Iowa?, click-- here Education
- A Master's degree in healthcare or business administration,
finance or accounting, or an equivalent combination of education
and experience is required. Required Qualifications
- Minimum of three years of related business or operational
management experience is required.
- Demonstrated operational, project and/or financial management
experience in a healthcare setting.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency with computer
applications and software programs, such as large databases and use
of pivot tables.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting a diverse workforce and
- Ability to effectively transmit, receive and interpret ideas,
information, and needs through appropriate communication methods
and behaviors. Highly Desired Qualifications
- Demonstrated supervisory and leadership experience.
- Experience managing a project or program that includes budget
development and/or management.
- Experience using and extracting data and reports from an
electronic medical record (EMR) system, such as Epic. Application
Process: In order to be considered, applicants must upload a resume
and cover letter (under submission relevant materials) that clearly
address how they meet the listed required and desired
qualifications of this position . Job openings are posted for a
minimum of 14 calendar days--may be removed from posting and filled
any time after the original posting period has ended.-- Successful
candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. This
position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment
authorization. Additional Information
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time Compensation Contact Information
- Contact Name: Peds Human Resources
- Contact Email: email@example.com Equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer The University of Iowa is
an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified
applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration
for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race,
creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion,
associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a
disability, or status as a protected veteran. Persons with
disabilities who need assistance or accommodations with the
application or interview process may contact University Human
Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services, (319) 335-2660 or
firstname.lastname@example.org . For jobs in UI Health care, please contact UI
Health care Leave & Disability Administration at 319-356-7543 .
My Profile Create and manage profiles for future opportunities.
Contact us to learn more about how to qualify for Veteran's
Keywords: The University of Iowa, Iowa City , Clinical Department Assistant Director - Pediatrics, Executive , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!