Design Project Manager
Company: The University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: December 2, 2019
The University of Iowa department of Facilities Management (FM) is
seeking a Design Project Manager to be responsible for the delivery
of effective design project management services. Projects have a
high level of complexity and can be high profile and have a greater
impact on the operations of the institution. Maybe multi-phased
with multiple contracts; project team may include staff from
several disciplines and/or departments as well as specialty
consultants. Project duration can be as long as 3-5 years.
- Ability to plan, organize, monitor, and control projects,
ensuring efficient utilization of technical and administrative
resources, to achieve project objectives.
- Manage and supervise design process of group of project
designers or projects as needed. Assist in review of others' work
- Knowledge of and ability to use the proper processes and
practices for managing and administering a variety of contractual
- Provide advice on development/interpretation of contract
documents. Review design and/or construction for code compliance
with current campus standards and industry best practices. Review
bids received and recommend contract awards to administration.
- Explain design process to team members. Understand factors
influencing design and explain such to team in a timely manner.
Advise the client of requirements or suggestions. Communicate with
all project participants.
- Responsible for project decision-making process and assure team
members are aware of any changes. Lead thorough and effective
project coordination among internal and external participants.
- Manage project schedule throughout course of design process and
develop schedule to assure desired project completion dates are
met. Manage actively and accurately schedules during project to
enforce contract requirements are met.
- Provide direction, assignments, feedback, coaching and
counseling to assure outcomes are achieved.
- Analyze, monitor and report financial data, information and
reports. Knowledge of, and ability to apply, policies and practices
for planning and administering a budget.
- Attain quality driven, functional and aesthetically pleasing
results within approved budget.
- Understanding of effective communication concepts, tools and
techniques; ability to effectively transmit, receive, and
accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the
application of appropriate communication behaviors.
- Mobilizes both time and resources to get things done.
Percent of time: 100%
Schedule: 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.
The University of Iowa offers a generous benefits package.
- Bachelor's degree in architecture, engineering or a related
field or an equivalent combination of related education and
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
- 3-5 years experience in project management of projects during
programming, schematic design, design development and/or
construction document phases.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and
- Proficient in computer software applications.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of staff at all levels of
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in a customer focused, team-oriented
- 3-5 years' experience in project management of projects in
design on a university campus.
- Experience with project management software, LEED processes,
laboratory and/or MEPT capital improvement projects and/or state
building inspection procedures.
- Experience managing healthcare facility capital projects and/or
utility type projects including utility production and building
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will
receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on
the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic
information, religion, associational preference, status as a
qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected
Keywords: The University of Iowa, Iowa City , Design Project Manager, Executive , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!