Engineering Coordinator - Physics & Astronomy
Company: The University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: November 18, 2021
The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences and the Department of
Physics & Astronomy are seeking an Engineering Coordinator at The
University of Iowa.
This position works with the engineering and research teams to
plan, design, schedule, manufacture and assemble high-reliability
space flight instruments capable of passing the rigors of the
extreme structural and thermal design requirements. Uses CAD
(prints/sketches/solid models/verbal instructions) data input from
design team to develop CNC programs utilizing CAD/CAM software such
as Mastercam, G+M code, machine conversational programing and
Inventor required to produce space flight hardware and tooling.
Ensures safety and compliance standards.
Key responsibilities include:
- Create mechanical drawings/solid models of parts using CAD
software such as AutoCAD, Mastercam Inventor in accordance with
NASA standards and project requirements.
- Interpret and discuss mechanical drawings and sketches with
- Inspect parts to verify conformance to NASA specifications
using a variety of gauges and tools.
- Purchase, receive, and inspect materials per contract
- Calculate tooling requirements, appropriate Feed Rates and
operation sequences for each part being machined.
- Fabricate precision-machined parts and assemblies to NASA
Bachelor's degree in a related field, or equivalent combination of
education and experience.
- Minimum of three years of manufacturing related experience in
high reliability machining and experience utilizing various machine
control software required, such as Mastercam (2017-2022),
Milltronics FastCam, G+M Code, 4 Axis Machining.
- Extensive proficiency in designing part files, assemblies, and
mechanical drawings with CAM/CAD systems (AutoCAD, Mastercam
(2017-2022) and Inventor).
- Demonstrated extensive experience in importing, opening, and
working with CAD files from many different CAD programs i.e. Step
and Ige's files.
- Extensive proficiency in the ability to interpret mechanical
drawings created using GD&T per ASME Y 14.5 2009 standard.
- Extensive proficiency in programming tool paths for CNC
machines, specifically Milltronics/Haas.
- Extensive proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Extensive experience with mechanical applications.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Working experience managing complex projects preferably having
worked as project manager, or in supervisory role.
- Working knowledge of University policies, procedures and
regulations is desirable.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will
receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on
the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic
information, religion, associational preference, status as a
qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected
Keywords: The University of Iowa, Iowa City , Engineering Coordinator - Physics & Astronomy, Engineering , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!