Director of Grant Accounting
Company: University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
Location: Iowa City
Posted on: January 16, 2020
The Director ofGrant Accounting is responsible for planning,
organizing, directing, andcoordinating the operational and
strategic activities of the Grant Accountingdepartment. The
position reportsdirectly to the University Controller and provides
overall leadership andmanagement to the department by supervising
and providing guidance to directreports and their staff.
Key Areas of Responsibilities andSpecific Job Tasks
- Plan,direct and control the fiscal and administrative
activities of the GrantAccounting department with a focus on strong
compliance, continuous processimprovement and following best
- Advisecampus units on sponsor regulations and research-specific
- Assistin the development of financial policies and procedures.
- Provideaccurate and timely financial information to units on
campus and manageprocesses to ensure timely and accurate financial
records of post-awardactivities.
- Leadfunctional and technical staff to maintain and enhance
existing grant informationsystems (ePost and FMS).
- Collaboratewith technical support and campus customers to
enhance and create robustfinancial reporting applications and
- Overseepreparation of sponsor billing and collections
activities, drawdowns of federalmonies, sub-award invoice
processing and related account reconciliations.
- Hire,train, develop and manage the performance of Grant
Accounting staff to maintainindustry and professional standards.
- DevelopUniversity-wide financial training and professional
development programs forresearch administrators across campus.
- Planand organize recurring meetings with Research
Administrator's (RAM), Post-AwardAdvisory Committee, and Division
of Sponsored Programs (DSP) to maintain goodcommunications and
strong relationships with campus customers &colleagues.
- Representthe University in peer constituent groups (Big 10
Sponsored Programs, COGR,NCURA, FDP, etc.).
- Assurethat University policies, procedures, practices and
programs are in compliancewith federal, state and local
- Assistin the coordination of federal audits of sponsored
projects and serve asprimary liaison to the Office of the Auditor
of State for the federal audit.
For a full job description, please send an e-mail to thecontact
About the Grant Accounting Department
The GrantAccounting Office is responsible for the post award
administration ofexternally sponsored projects. Thisincludes
establishing new accounts to allow spending, maintaining
grantinformation systems, collecting funds from sponsors,
processing invoices to paysub-awardees, monitoring and advising on
sponsor regulations and fiscalallowability, preparing and
submitting financial reports for sponsors,distributing monthly
financial statements, providing training on
post-awardadministration, responding to audit requests, and
The University of Iowa
The University of Iowa is one of the nation's premier public
researchuniversities, with 11 colleges offering internationally
recognized programs indisciplines ranging from otolaryngology to
fiction writing, printmaking tospace science, hydraulic engineering
to dance. Iowa draws nearly 33,000students from more than 100
countries and all 50 U.S. states, and employs about29,500 faculty
A Master's degree in Business Administration,Accounting or related
field or an equivalent combination of education andexperience is
- Comprehensive (-10 years)experience, including supervisory, in
a combination of the followingareas: accounting, financial
analysis,budgeting, and grant & contract administration.
- Exceptional leadership,organizational, and management skills to
identify, analyze and providesolutions to complex budget issues.
- Advanced knowledge of budgeting,fund accounting, and financial
- Demonstrated experience inpreparing and presenting complex
financial information and concepts to a widerange of audiences.
- Extensive experience withtechnology including ERP systems, web
applications and Microsoft Office Suite(Excel, Access, Word &
- Excellent interpersonal skills withthe ability to work
effectively and exercise a high-degree of diplomacy,discretion and
collaboration in dealing with constituencies at all levels.
- Excellent verbal & writtencommunication skills.
- Familiarity with GASB standards andGAAP accounting principles.
- Demonstrated commitment todiversity and experience promoting a
- Experience in the development,implementation and ongoing
utilization of automated financial systems and BIreporting
- Experience in creating &communicating specifications for
new systems & applications to be used byinternal staff and/or
- Experience with the sponsoredprogram administration at a major
comprehensive research university.
- In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must
upload a resume and cover letter and mark them as a "Relevant File"
to the submission.
Job openings are posted fora minimum of 14 calendar days and may be
removed from posting and filled anytime after the original posting
period has ended.
Successful candidates willbe subject to a criminal background
Up to 5 professionalreferences will be requested at a later step in
the recruitment process.
Keywords: University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, Iowa City , Director of Grant Accounting, Accounting, Auditing , Iowa City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!